Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Not Ann Coulter

I was elected as a volunteer to serve on the Board of Trustees (BOT) of my homeowner’s association (HOA). I love my community and want to maintain the very high standards that were set years ago by those that first developed the homes and the community where I live. I have the same feelings about the Town of Leesburg and Loudoun County. For that reason I write the articles you read here, sharing my opinions with anyone interested in reading them, and more importantly hoping to get a larger percentage of our community, both large and small, interested in local politics.

At our last BOT meeting, one member of our HOA community raised an objection to a link on our community website that pointed to outside.in. This website consolidates news of what is happening in communities all over America. (Click on the link, enter the zip code or neighborhood name, and you will see what is happening and being talked about.) The news comes from local bloggers and newspaper articles. Our resident’s concern was that a summary of the articles I publish here appear and are linked to on Outside.in. She wants the link on the HOA website removed. Unless I missed something, I am not aware of any restriction for anyone linking to any site or page on the Web. Freedom of Speech is still part the Bill of Rights, the first amendment to our Constitution.

The morning after this BOT meeting I watched a report about a segment on the MSNBC program Hardball where Ann Coulter was engaged in a telephone debate with Elizabeth Edwards, wife of presidential candidate John Edwards. Chris Matthews called Coulter a very bright provocateur. I am sure Coulter would be the first to agree. Getting the wife of a presidential candidate to call a TV talk-show and engage her, to me and millions of others, was amazing. Whether you agree with Edwards or Coulter, it was interesting to watch and probably either garnered votes for either John Edwards or his opponents in the race. It might even get a few more voters out to vote in the primaries. If you click here, you can read a transcript of the debate as well as the many comments. One comment that I related to read: This is the liberal mind at work. They can say anything they want to say, they can do anything they want to do. But if something is said or done to offend them and their agenda, they start to scream and want the government to legislate what is said. This country was founded on the principle of the freedom of speech. No matter if you agree or disagree with Ann C, IT IS HER RIGHT AS AN AMERICAN!

I do not agree with Coulter's style in this debate, but I do think she and MSNBC have the right to publish it. I do not consider myself a provocateur in the style of Ann Coulter. You will not find any personal attacks on this website, but you will find opinion. I am free to write mine, and you are free to express yours. In fact I look forward to hearing from you. If you disagree with me, fine. That’s what makes our nation and our community, large and small, great.

No comments: